Types of Insurance Coverage Available for Your Personal Injury Claim in Virginia

Types of Insurance Coverage Available for Your Personal Injury Claim in Virginia

Like other states, Virginia sets forth minimum requirements on what types of insurance coverage drivers are required to carry. Some drivers may opt to purchase the bare minimums, while others will carry higher limits. Virginia also has a unique option that allows you to drive uninsured, but only after you pay an Uninsured Motorist Vehicle fee to the DMV, and it means you are on the hook to pay for any accident out of your own pocket.

If you’ve been in an accident that was not your fault, it’s important to know what types of coverage may be available to reimburse you for damages you sustained.

Required Coverage in Virginia

If you purchase a Virginia auto insurance policy, you will be required to have a certain amount of coverage for bodily injury, property damage, and uninsured motorists. To satisfy the Virginia requirements, you must have:

  • Bodily Injury (BI): Minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,00 per accident. This coverage pays the other party’s medical bills, legal fees, etc. up to the limit you carry.
  • Property Damage (PD): Minimum of $20,000 per accident. PD covers property damage caused to another person in an accident, up to the maximum limit you purchase.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UM/UIMBI): The minimum limits for UM and UIMBI are $25,000/$50,000. It can never be higher than the bodily injury liability limits you carry. This coverage is activated when the other at-fault driver did not have insurance, or their limits were not enough to compensate you for your loss.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage (UM/UIMPD): The minimum limit is $20,000 per accident. This is the property damage equivalent of your UM/UIMBI. Your UM/UIMPD will never be higher than the property damage limits you carry.

Special Coverage Requirements for FR-44 Policies

In some instances, some drivers will be required to carry higher limits than noted above. This includes anyone on an FR-44 policy, which is required for a minimum of three years after being convicted of a DUI. On an FR-44 policy, you are required to carry double the minimum limits and it must be filed to show proof of financial responsibility. BI and PD limits are 50/100/40 per accident, and your UM and UIM coverage will be the same limits as you purchase for BI and PD.

Optional Coverage in Virginia

There are several other types of coverage that are optional but may provide some financial assistance during an accident or loss. These include:

  • Comprehensive and Collision: These have deductibles that must be paid before the coverage kicks in. These two coverages can apply to vehicle damage, whether it is from a crash or some other type of accident, or theft.
  • Medical Payments (MedPay): MedPay will cover your medical expenses in an accident, regardless of who was at fault. If anyone in your vehicle is deceased, it will also apply towards funeral expenses. Limits vary by insurer, but common options are between $500 and $10,000.

Retaining a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been involved in an accident that was not your fault, you need a Virginia personal injury attorney. Contact Cravens & Noll PC at 804-330-9220 to schedule a consultation.

Personal Injury Attorney Info
Car Accident Lawyers

Joe Cravens

Read Bio

David Edward Noll

Read Bio

W. Allan Burns Jr.

Read Bio
Share This Article

Ease The Burden Today. Schedule a Consultation.

Are you wondering if you have a case? Our attorneys combined as a team have hundreds of years of experience dealing with all kinds of legal cases throughout Richmond, Harrisonburg, and all over Virginia. It is our goal to serve our clients with the utmost integrity, respect, and dignity regardless of your circumstances.

When you complete this contact form, you’ll be contacted by one of our representatives to get more details regarding your inquiry. Our firm is committed to representing our clients’ rights to ensure you receive the most favorable results possible.

As with many legal issues, minutes matter. The evidence fades, witnesses disappear, and the stories change. If you’re facing an urgent legal matter, Cravens & Noll can provide hope to your situation.

Get Started