Holding Drunk Drivers Responsible
Over the course of your lifetime in Virginia, there’s a 1 in 6 chance that you will be involved in a drunk driving accident. It’s no wonder, then, that in 2018, 34% of all traffic fatalities in Virginia were alcohol-related.
Because of these numbers, the state of Virginia has particularly tough laws against DUI offenders. These include serious fines against the offender and their license getting revoked for at least one year.
Despite these consequences, many reckless drivers still choose to break the law and drive with a 0.08% or higher Blood Alcohol Content.
When someone decides to drive drunk, that person is endangering the lives of everyone else on the road. If you have been injured in a car accident involving a drunk driver, the Richmond drunk driving accident attorneys at Cravens and Noll, P.C. will help you hold the irresponsible party accountable for the damages they’ve caused.
What to Do After a Drunk Driving Accident
Being involved in a vehicle accident of any kind is emotionally and physically shocking. The initial moments after a car accident are the most critical, especially if a driver under the influence is involved. There are a few steps you should remember if you or someone you know is involved in a drunk driving accident:
- Stay calm: keep your mind and body as relaxed as possible
- Stay at the scene and contact the police: this way you can file an official police report, and leaving the scene of the accident could be held against you in court.
- Exchange contact information: it’s important to get the other party’s driver’s license, insurance information and contact information. If they try to leave the scene of the accident, be sure to get their license plate number.
- Report the accident to your insurance provider: be sure you do not accept any offers from them or the other party’s insurance company.
- Visit a doctor ASAP: this step is important to ensure your safety and well-being. Even if you don’t feel injured, a doctor’s visit could prevent any future injuries caused by the accident.
- Contact an attorney: make sure you consult a reputable and experienced drunk driving attorney.
- Take photographs with your cell if you are able and get names and telephone numbers of any witnesses. Be very careful if you are injured and ask one of the people who respond to do so for you.
Experienced Richmond Attorneys
It’s important to have a lawyer on your side during the entire accident legal process. At the law firm of Cravens & Noll, P.C., our lawyers have litigated many car and motorcycle accident cases involving impaired drivers. We have attorneys on our team who have handled drunk driving personal injury claims for both the victims of these accidents and as defense counsel for insurance companies. Because of this experience, we bring a thorough understanding of:
- Police investigative methods
- Technical devices used to determine blood-alcohol content (BAC), like blood tests and Breathalyzer machines
- Litigation strategies used by insurance companies to defend against these personal injury lawsuits
In many drunk driving accident cases, we are able to use the criminal DUIs conviction to benefit our personal injury case:
- We regularly send court reporters to the criminal trial to capture testimony.
- We talk with the police officers who investigate these cases.
- We use all of our breadth of knowledge and our practical experience to our clients’ benefit.
There’s an obvious advantage to having an attorney fighting for you who has spent time on the other side. We know how the insurance companies defend against personal injury claims of this kind, so we know how and what it takes to win your case.
Punitive Damages in Virginia – Better Compensation
Every state is different in terms of the damage compensation awards available to accident victims.
Because of the heinous nature of drunk driving accidents, injury victims in Virginia are permitted to seek compensatory as well as punitive damages against drunk drivers. This generally means a much greater financial recovery for you and your family.
Further, these damages are not protected by bankruptcy, so the defendant cannot avoid paying.
Damages in drunk driving cases vary from physical injuries to mental health crises. Damages can include:
- Brain injuries
- Back and spine injuries
- Broken bones
- Emotional trauma
- Psychological damage
- Vehicle repairs or replacements
- Loss of wages
- Emotional strain on loved ones
A drunk driving accident can completely upend your life, making it more difficult to live day-to-day or support your family.
It’s important to hold those who were involved as responsible for their negligent actions. The attorneys at Cravens and Noll are dedicated to getting you and your loved ones the compensation they deserve.
If you’ve been hit by a drunk driver, you should be compensated for your injuries. We also know that the last thing you want to do is spend most of your compensation money paying the attorneys who helped you obtain it.
Because of this, we do everything we can to keep the case overhead down and provide our services in the most cost-effective manner possible for our clients.
We handle our cases on contingency, so if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Contact or call the experienced drunk driving attorneys at Cravens and Noll, P.C. to schedule a consultation.
We have the knowledge and the dedication to defend your basic rights under the law from negligent drivers who cause serious accidents under the influence.